Monday, May 15, 2006

Making Commitments

Often, we get caught up in the moment of decision, and make commitments that later we break. Ecclesiastes 5:5 says, “Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.” However, scripture is filled with people selling out to God, making strong commitments, then “going for it”. Although we should not break vows, this verse shouldn’t scare us out of being committed to God.

Let’s look at examples of commitments in the Bible:
1. Joshua 24:15, “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” This was a decision for life.

2. Esther 4:16, “Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish." Esther left no provision to turn back

3. Job 2:10, “But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.” Job made a conscious decision to not turn against God.

4. David uses the words “I will” numerous times in the Psalms. (31:1, 34:1, 9:1-2, 22:22). In 27:4, notice the time commitment…"all the days of my life".

5. Proverbs is full of instructions that are intended to set the course of young people FOR LIFE! Look at 24:1-5, and be committed to follow 3 things…wisdom, understanding, knowledge. Finish school well – commit to this! I’ve never known a slacker in school to have a good testimony.

WHAT ARE SOME COMMITMENTS YOU SHOULD MAKE?
-find a mate that loves God
-don’t make provision to turn back
-allow your commitments, not your emotions to rule your life. Job 31:1, “I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:02:00 PM, Blogger Samantha Jane said...

Thanks, Joe. Just, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home